We all know the importance of sleep! Your body burns fat, regenerates your cells, and slows the effects of aging while you sleep! Sleep has been referred to as the hormonal reset button for your body. And what happens when you don’t get quality sleep? Your fat burning hormones become a disaster!
Lack of sleep elevates our cortisol levels and stress hormones, causing our bodies to STORE rather than BURN fat.
But what do you do when you can’t sleep? Read about 5 Steps to Better Sleep here.
And if you find yourself hungry at night, healthy bedtime snacks really can help you get a better night’s sleep.
That’s right, eating at night isn’t as bad as you might have thought–provided you focus on the right types of healthy bedtimes snacks. (No, chips and ice cream on the couch at midnight doesn’t count!)
If you’re looking for healthy bedtime snacks to help you sleep, find something that contains one of the three chemicals that impact sleep:
- Tryptophan: an amino acid that triggers serotonin.
- Serotonin: a hormone that relaxes the body and triggers melatonin production.
- Melatonin: a hormone that induces sleep and wake patterns.
This post focuses on healthy bedtime snacks containing melatonin–the hormone that controls wake and sleep patterns. Although your body naturally produces melatonin, it is also found in some foods (and is available as a supplement too!).
Healthy Bedtime Snacks: MELATONIN
The following foods contain melatonin or induce the body’s natural production of melatonin:
- Fennel seeds
Other foods that help you sleep include milk, oranges, peppers, pineapple, rice, spinach, sunflower seeds, strawberries, turkey, tomatoes and wine.
Healthy Bedtime Snacks: fat loss + family friendly recipes
- Almonds + apples: Homemade cashew almond butter is great as a dip apples for apples!
- Bananas + Oats: These healthy banana oat breakfast cookies don’t need to be reserved for breakfast alone!
- Cherries: This vanilla protein crepe with cherry filling is the perfect sweet and healthy treat to end the day!
- Pineapple + spinach: The BeyondFit family loves this pineapple, kale, and coconut smoothie! Throw a little spinach into the mix for a powerfully healthy bedtime snack!
- Strawberries: Any one of these three low carb strawberry desserts makes a perfect healthy bedtime snack!
- Turkey + tomatoes: Get the one-two punch with two healthy bedtime snacks in one dinner.
- Ginger: Whether you make lemon ginger tea or this delightful ginger pear crisp, you’ll be able to harness the power of ginger to relax and promote quality sleep!
P.S. The healthy bedtime snacks above definitely help to improve the quality of your sleep, but if find you need even more help getting to sleep, staying asleep, or recovering while you sleep, try TruZMA.
TruZMA is for any woman looking for deeper, more restful sleep and improved muscle recovery. It supports strength and power, sleep quality, and hormone production by promoting deeper, more restful sleep. TruZMA is a great source of zinc and magnesium, both of which promote deeper sleep. Simply take 2 capsules 30-60 minutes before bed.
Use the code BEYONDFIT for 30% off your TruZMA order!
Looking for more information about weight loss supplements for women? Find my explanation and endorsement here!
There’s a whole world of knowledge, workouts, recipes and supportive women waiting for you at the BeyondFit Life Club. Join today and gain immediate access to everything you need to jumpstart your fat loss lifestyle!