When I was little my mom used to make green pancakes in the shape of Shamrocks! So, I’m pretty sure we thought it was the coolest thing around.
I’m all about celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with some green grub.
Now that I’m a mom myself, I love the idea of making food fun for my sons. Specifically, I like the idea of making HEALTHY food fun!
Finally, this year, I’m swapping the dyed green pancakes (food coloring may have some not-so-great side effects) and looking for healthy ways (think: loaded with veggies & tons of fiber) to go green & celebrate St. Patrick’s Day!
3 Recipes to Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day the Healthy Way:
Green Power Smoothie
Spinach and kale give this delicious beverage its fabulously fun green hue. Plus, they offer tons of antioxidants and vitamins like iron and vitamins A and C. Additionally, banana, mango, and ginger create a distinct, crave-able flavor (and add even more nutritional power!). I tested this smoothie on Jackson last week & he gave it TWO thumbs up!
- 1-1 1/2 C. Unsweetened almond milk (depending on your thickness preference)
- 1 Scoop protein powder (your choice)
- 1 C. Kale leaves, center rib removed
- 1 C. Baby spinach
- 1 Banana, frozen & cut into small pieces
- 1 Mango, peeled & cut into small pieces
- 1 t. Fresh ginger
- First, combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
- Then, divide between glasses.
- Finally, serve immediately.
Quick & Easy Cucumber Feta Rolls
With spring fast approaching, I love the crisp, refreshing taste of cucumbers. The super-thin cucumber slices give these rolls a St. Patrick’s Day worthy GREEN outer layer, while inside, there’s a protein-rich Greek yogurt, feta, sun-dried tomato filling. Finally, something quick, easy & totally delicious!
- 2 Cucumbers
- 6 oz. Crumbled feta
- 3 T. Greek yogurt
- 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 T Sun-dried tomatoes or red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 T. Dill or oregano, roughly chopped
- 2 t. Lemon juice
- Pinch of pepper to taste
- First, thinly slice the cucumbers longways on a mandolin at a 2mm thick setting. Alternatively, you can use a vegetable peeler if you do not have a mandolin.
- Next, lay the cucumbers on top of a paper towel lined cutting board while you prepare the filling.
- Now, mash the feta and yogurt in a medium bowl with a fork.
- And add the bell pepper or sun dried tomatoes, dill/oregano, lemon, and pepper to the bowl. Stir well to combine.
- Place 1-2 t. of mixture at one end of a cucumber strip and roll up. Secure with a toothpick.
- Finally, repeat with remaining strips.
- If not serving immediately, chill until ready to serve.
Thin Mint (Shamrock) Shake
First, let’s talk about WHY you want to avoid the drive through for this festive favorite. Initially, a small McDonalds Shamrock Shake will set you back 530 calories and 73 grams of sugar! Secondly, it’s filled with chemical ingredients, additives, and potentially-dangerous food dyes.
Do your health a favor and make your own healthy Shamrock Shakes at home. Guess what? It takes under five minutes to make and uses natural ingredients to get that bright-green hue. Additionally, it has NO refined sugar whatsoever.
Finally, this healthy Shamrock Shake recipe is well under 500 calories.
- 2 C. Spinach
- 1 Scoop chocolate whey protein powder
- 2 - 3 Drops mint extract
- 2 T. Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Stevia to taste (optional: chocolate stevia)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 T. Sugar free fat free chocolate pudding mix
- Ice to desired consistency
- First, combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth
- Next, divide into glasses.
- Finally, serve immediately.
Here’s a version of my thin mint/shamrock shake without the spinach. It’s not green, but still equally delicious!
BONUS: Need more Healthy Green Recipes?
Give these a try:
- Lean Mean Fat Burning Machine Green Soup – This quick & easy soup recipe is quite possibly the easiest way to get your veggies in. Moreover, it’s a great way to warm up on a chilly day, and the entire family will love it!
- Green Protein Pancakes – Oats add some extra fiber to these protein cakes. Simply add 1 C of spinach before blending to create the festive color, cook in a skillet on medium heat, and ENJOY! If you’re extra creative, follow my mom’s lead and make them in the shape of a shamrock!
- Homemade Guacamole – Just say “NO” to packaged guacamole. It almost always contains too much salt, MSG, and other kinds of craziness. Instead, opt for a better option that you can make from home with a clearer conscience! Particularly great served with low carb tortilla toasted & sliced as chips, or on the side of some crockpot fajitas!
- Crustless Spinach & Shamrock Quiche – This breakfast dish is perfect for feeding a crowd. You can make it the night before and simply reheat & eat! Swap the mushrooms in the traditional recipe for some GREENS. Next, add lots of spinach, and top with some green pepper “shamrocks” for a fun and healthy way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day!
Need more HEALTHY & Family Friendly Meal ideas?
We have tons of delicious, healthy and easy recipes at BeyondFit Life!
If you need ideas for healthy week night dinners, fat loss friendly snacks, quick and easy breakfasts, and more. You will love the recipe section of the portal!