I love ice cream. Ya’ll know I have a major sweet tooth, so in the summer months when it’s hot, ice cream is the perfect cool and sweet treat!
Unfortunately, most of what you’ll find when you go down the ice cream aisle is very high in sugar and fat and is a disaster for your health, fitness and fat loss goals.
I see nothing wrong with an occasional treat from time to time, so yes, you can certainly enjoy a bowl of “regular” ice cream in moderation. But one thing I’ve learned is that healthy alternatives to some of my traditional favorites are a great way to enjoy a sweet treat while still staying on track with my goals.
There are definitely healthy ice cream alternatives that won’t wreck your health or cause you to pack on the pounds, you just need to know what to look for.
HEALTHY ICE CREAM – HOMEMADE
You only need two ingredients to make this healthy ice cream. Seriously, it’s that easy! It is dairy free and gluten free. The perfect treat for spring and summer!
Note: You do need a powerful blender or food processor or the ice cream won’t turn out as creamy. In addition, the bananas and strawberries do need to be frozen to create the creamy “ice cream” consistency.
2 INGREDIENT BANANA ICE CREAM
- 4 large very ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- Peel bananas and slice into 1/2 inch discs.
- Arrange banana slices in a single layer on a large plate or baking sheet. Freeze for 1-2 hours.
- Place the banana slices in a food processor or powerful blender. Puree banana slices, scraping down the bowl as needed. Puree until the mixture is creamy and smooth. Add the peanut butter and puree to combine.
- Serve immediately for soft-serve ice cream consistency. If you prefer harder ice cream, place in the freezer for a few hours and then serve. When ready to serve, let the ice cream sit out for 5 minutes.
2 INGREDIENT BANANA STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM
- 4 large very ripe bananas
- 1 lb. strawberries
- Peel bananas and slice into 1/2 inch pieces. Slice the strawberries.
- Arrange banana slices and strawberry slices in a single layer on a large plate or baking sheet. Freeze for 2 hours or overnight.
- Place the frozen banana and strawberry slices in a food processor or powerful blender. Puree mixture, scraping down the bowl as needed. Puree until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
- Serve immediately for soft-serve ice cream consistency. If you prefer harder ice cream, place in a freezer container and freeze. When ready to serve, let the ice cream sit out for 5 minutes.
HEALTHY ICE CREAM – STORE BOUGHT
There are many lower calorie healthy ice cream alternatives on the market today. I’ve tried quite a few, and most of them are… just ok.
But I recently tried ENLIGHTENED Ice Cream, and I have to tell you, this one is BETTER than ok….it’s delicious!
At last, a high protein ice cream that tastes as great as it makes you feel!
ENLIGHTENED Ice Cream is high protein and high fiber while being low sugar and low fat, so you can indulge and stay healthy! Plus, they have amazing flavors!
If you don’t have time to make healthy ice cream at home, this is a great store bought alternative.
Dig in and experience the smooth, creamy healthy ice cream perfection today!
Share this post with all of your ice cream loving friends and enjoy a (healthier) bowl of ice cream with them soon!
Small changes eventually add up to huge results.
In 6 months, you’ll wish you had joined the BeyondFit Life Club today!