Kid-approved recipes. They aren’t always easy to come by. That’s why we’ve rounded up not only a delicious collection of sweet treats, but also a couple of savory sides that will have your kids quoting Oliver Twist.
Kid-Approved Recipes: Savory Sides
These kid-approved recipes taste just right to adults too. So whether you’re feeding a passel of kiddos at a birthday party, or throwing something together for your family on a weeknight, these recipes round out any meal!
- 1 Small head of cauliflower
- 1/4 C. Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 C. Flaxseed meal
- 1 t. Kosher salt
- 1/4 t. Ground black pepper
- 1/2 t. Ground mustard
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray mini-muffin pan lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- Shred cauliflower (I use my food processor) and wring out any excess water with a towel.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon mixture into mini muffin pan. Press mixture firmly with back of spoon.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- These cauliflower tots are kid-approved and a great way to get them to eat their veggies!
- 1 1/2 C. Almond flour
- 2 t. Pizza seasoning (divided)
- 1/4 t. Garlic powder
- 1 t. Sea salt (divided)
- 1 T. Bacon grease (or coconut oil), melted
- 1 t. Sugar-free honey substitute (optional)
- 3 Eggs (divided)
- 2 T. Coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, 1 1/2 t. pizza seasoning, garlic powder, 1/2 t. sea salt, bacon grease (or coconut oil) and honey (if using).
- In a small bowl, whisk 2 eggs. Add to almond flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Add 1 T. coconut flour and stir to combine.
- Allow the mixture to sit for a minute and then add the other T. of coconut flour. Stir to combine. The batter should be slightly sticky and easy to knead.
- Make a ball of dough and on a large, clean surface, roll dough using finger tips to make a long rope, about 1/2 inch thick in diameter.
- Carefully fold the long rope in half, so you have two pieces that are equal in size.
- Pinch the two tops together and start twisting the two pieces of dough together to make a twist. If the dough starts to crack, dampen your fingers with water and smooth out the cracks.
- Place the pizza twist/sticks onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk 1 egg with 1 t. water.
- In another small bowl, add 1/2 t. pizza seasoning and 1/2 t. sea salt and mix to combine.
- Remove the twist/sticks from the oven and carefully turn them over. The bottom should be golden.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with seasoning mix.
- Increase oven heat to 375 degrees.
- Place the pizza twist/sticks back in the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove and allow them to cool slightly before serving.
- Who doesn't love pizza?!? Better make a few batches because even the pickiest of kids will be asking for more of these yummy pizza sticks.
Kid-Approved Recipes: Sweet Treats
You probably already know this about me–I’ve got an insatiable sweet tooth! So I can’t blame my kids for wanting something sweet every now and again too. These kid-approved recipes will satisfy any sweet tooth in your family–including your own! And they won’t sabotage your fat loss goals either!
Jackson’s Favorite Fruit Leather
- 5 peaches
- 1 T. Sugar-free honey substitute
- If using an oven, preheat to 150 degrees.
- Cut and pit all peaches. (I left the skins on, but you can remove them if you prefer.)
- In a blender, mix the peaches into a smooth puree.
- Take a taste. If the mixture is on the tart side, add a small amount of sweetener.
- If you are using an oven, spread the mixture on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Make sure it's as even as it can get.
- Bake for about 7 hours or until the mixture is a bit tacky. Check to see how easily it can pull away from the parchment.
- If you are using a dehydrator, line your trays with parchment.
- Set the dehydrator on 150 and run for about 7 hours.
- I got about 10 fruit rolls out of my batch. Jackson LOVES when I make this!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Haystacks
- 1/4 C. Natural creamy peanut butter
- 3 T. Cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1/16 t. Salt
- 1 Pinch of Stevia
- 16 oz. Dried coconut
- 2 T. Unsalted butter
- 1/4 C. Heavy cream
- 2 T. Xylitol
- Combine cream, butter, cocoa, sugar substitutes and salt in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Add the peanut butter and stir until incorporated.
- Toast the coconut flakes on a sheet pan for 5 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Once toasted, fold into chocolate mixture until coated.
- Drop by T. onto wax paper or a silicone mat on a sheet pan, forming about 18 mounds.
- Allow to cool and harden. (Place in fridge if you need them to cool quickly.)
- These haystacks may be stored in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to two weeks or frozen for up to 3 months.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
Blackberry Lime Sorbet
- 1 C. Fresh or frozen blackberries
- 3/4 C. Non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- Fresh lime juice (about 1/2 of a small lime)
- Stevia to taste
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until just blended.
- Enjoy immediately or freeze in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
- Garnish with a few fresh blackberries or spiraled lime peel, if desired.
- This recipe works best with blackberries, but raspberries can be substituted. You will not get the best results with other types of berries.
Microwave Apple Cobbler
- 2/3 C. Chopped apple
- Sugar-free syrup such as DaVinci's caramel, or water and sugar substitute of choice
- 1/2 t. Cinnamon
- 3 T. Almond meal
- 1 t. Butter
- Chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Put the chopped apple in a microwave-safe bowl or other container.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over the apples and pour syrup to cover about half an inch.
- Cover and microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Remove the cover. Sprinkle almond meal over the top and add a pinch of salt, if desired.
- Add the chopped nuts, if you like.
- Dot with butter.
- Microwave, uncovered, for another 1 1/2 minutes.
Looking for more great recipes that work with your fat loss goals instead of against them? Download this amazing dessert cookbook from BeyondFit today!