By Kate Horney
“What are the best foods for weight loss?”
In just 7 days we kick off Bikini Boot Camp! To celebrate, BeyondFit is answering ALL of your biggest weight/fat loss questions and is bringing you a full week’s worth of our best fat loss tips and tricks.
We talk a lot about ditching the diet and eating MORE of the “right” foods instead…. But what are the right foods? Today, you’ll find out!
Fat loss power foods, and really all fat loss friendly foods in general, have more protein and/or fiber compared to carbohydrate and have a higher fiber content compared to total carbohydrate. Among other benefits, these foods help to stabilize blood sugar and dramatically decrease hunger and cravings.
Here are some of our favorite fat loss power foods that are particularly useful for women:
1) Unsweetend cocoa powder- The ultimate craving killer! With virtually zero calories and lots of fiber, cocoa raises energy, blunts hunger and reduces cravings like you won’t believe! Cocoa contains phenylethylamine (PEA), a compound that helps you feel satisfied and directly affects the pleasure centers in the female brain.
Add 1 tablespoon to a mug with an optional non-calorie sweetener (stevia, truvia, xylitol,etc) of your choice, pour hot water on top, stir and volia! You have the worlds best diet aid!
2) Whey protein powder: With the same low sugar content and less sodium than egg white powder, whey proteins are naturally high in BCAAs that are easy to digest. It immediately supplies the muscles with high quality protein, which directly correlates to an increase in physical performance and enhanced body composition.
Keep whey protein powder hand and simply stir a scoop into 8 ounces of unsweetened almond milk or water for a quick and easy fat loss power snack.
3) Fish – Studies show that the unique fats in fish, especially fatty fish like salmon are able to lower the level of unhealthy fats in the body. In addition to aiding fat loss, fish oils improve immune function, reduce inflammation, and decrease blood pressure.
When available, choose fish as your protein source of choice, and consider supplementing with fish oils if necessary.
4) Fibrous veggies– When it comes to high fiber veggies, you can’t eat too many! In addition to providing your body with lots of fiber, vitamins, and minerals, cruciferous vegetables (like broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, kale) are known for being estrogen detoxifiers. When looking to balance insulin and estrogen levels in women seeking fat loss, fiber is a great tool to help lower insulin and aid in removal of possible estrogen metabolites.
Steamed, raw or roasted, fibrous veggies are great power foods that you can keep cut up and ready for snacking and cooking.
5) Green tea– Green tea contains many good (and hard to pronounce) phytonutrient compounds that are able to interact with your metabolism at the level of your liver and fat cells. Green tea helps women burn more fat, specifically from the lower body.
Trade your morning coffee for green tea, and enjoy anywhere from 1-5 cups daily.
6) Low Sugar Fruits – As mentioned, when insulin and estrogen levels are too high, fat burning will be low. Low sugar fruits have a higher water content compared to sugar and also offer fiber that again helps balance hunger, energy, cravings, and the insulin/estrogen releases.
Enjoy fresh, low sugar fruits as a sweet treat or after dinner dessert.
7) Eggs- One egg contains 6 grams of high-quality protein and all 9 essential amino acids. And no, you need not fear the yolks… Regular consumption of two eggs per day does not affect a person’s lipid profile and may, in fact, improve it, as research suggests that it is saturated fat that raises cholesterol rather than dietary cholesterol. In addition, one egg yolk contains about 300 micrograms of choline, an essential nutrient that helps regulate the brain, nervous system, and cardiovascular system.
With naturally occurring vitamin D and the right kind of fat, whether scrambled, poached or made into an omelet (with lots of fibrous veggies, of course) eggs are a fat loss power breakfast staple.
Try one (or all) of these 7 female fat loss power foods and report back… let us know what you think!