Bacon Stuffed Zucchini
A while back, Coach Kira posted a recipe for Turkey Stuffed Zucchini that we all loved. Coach Kira also shared her recipe for baked zucchini chips and I shared my all time favorite recipe for zucchini lasagna. I am not sure why all of us here at BeyondFit Physiques are so in love with zucchini, but we are! We just keep finding delicious uses for this very versatile vegetable, and I’m going to bring you another one today!
I made Coach Kira’s Turkey Stuffed Zucchini several times, and then decided to play around with the concept of stuffed zucchini. I found lots of recipes and combined my favorite elements into this sure-to-please recipe winner!
Bacon Stuffed Zucchini Ingredients:
- 1 Zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise
- ¼ medium onion (I used a red onion for more flavor)
- 3-4 slices of crispy bacon
- 1 T Greek Yogurt
- Sprinkle of Curry
- ½ small-medium tomato, chopped
- 1-2 small mushrooms chopped (optional)
- Parmesan Cheese
- Grab a spoon and hollow out the centers of each zucchini half. Be sure to leave some meat on the edges to keep the zucchini intact when cooking.
- Keep the center meat from the zucchini and roughly chop then place into a separate bowl.
- Place the hollowed-out zucchini halves into a baking dish.
- Add the Greek Yogurt, Mushrooms, & Tomatoes to the zucchini meat, stir to mix, set aside.
- In a medium pan, sauté onions with some non-stick cooking spray and the sprinkle of curry (just enough to turn onions a light yellow – season to your tastes here!). Add crumbled bacon to the onions as they are sautéing to add extra flavor.
- Once cooked, pour the sauté into the bowl with the zucchini meat and stir to combine.
- Spoon the mixture from the bowl into each half of the zucchini. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese to taste.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 30minutes.
This recipe is perfect for one person (maybe even two if you serve with a heaping salad), but can easily be doubled or tripled according to your family!
Who said healthy eating had to be boring??!
Like this recipe? Help us spread the word- share it by clicking below!