Easy No Bake Lactation Cookies
When you’re breastfeeding, your body’s demand for protein is 20 percent higher than when not pregnant or lactating. That means that protein is essential for the production of breast milk to nourish your growing baby.
Breastfeeding moms should be eating three or four servings of protein daily to increase milk supply.
But between all the demands that come with caring for a new baby, carving out time to prepare a balanced meal can feel like an impossible feat.
That’s why I love to use easy no bake lactation protein cookies as quick and delicious snacks to boost protein intake and increase milk supply.
Whether you’re a first-time mama or are a mom to several, you’ve probably heard about lactation cookies. Many breastfeeding moms swear by these treats and consider them to be an easy (and tasty!) way to boost and maintain your milk supply.
One quick pinterest search will bring up thousands of lactation cookie recipes. But not all lactation cookies are the same. It’s important to know that when it comes to the effectiveness of lactation cookies, it’s all about the ingredients.
Here’s a quick breakdown of some specific ingredients commonly found in lactation cookies:
- Brewers Yeast: This ingredient is is a source of B vitamins, chromium, selenium and protein. It does not contain B12, but the other B vitamins in there may help to boost energy and support the nervous system. It is also said that it can help with digestion and keep your skin, hair, eyes, mouth and liver healthy.
- Flaxseed: Flaxseed is a good source of dietary fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. It contains vitamins E and B, calcium, iron, and potassium. It can be used to help keep your digestive system regular and prevent irritable bowel syndrome. It may also lower blood glucose and improve insulin tolerance.
- Oats: A great source of soluble fiber, oats help to slow down the absorption of carbohydrates into the bloodstream, which helps to avoid spikes in your blood sugar levels. They are also a great source of magnesium as well as other vitamins & minerals so it’s a great idea to have them as part of your diet anyway!
- Wheat Germ: This ingredient contains zinc, which is a must for breastfeeding moms. Zinc aids the immune system and even helps to protect cracked nipples, a common occurrence when breastfeeding. Like brewer’s yeast, it is also believed to help with postpartum depression.
- Galactogogues: One of the most common ingredients found in lactation cookies, galactogogues. The best lactation cookies always contain galactogogues, which are substances found in various herbs and foods that promote lactation. Examples of galactogogues include turmeric, fennel seed, oatmeal, and chickpeas, just to name a few.
Using the ingredients above, in less than 5 minutes, you can quickly create a wholesome snack that offers your body a variety of the galactagogue nutrients you need to boost breast milk supply.
- 3 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup natural almond butter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup rolled oats round into oat flour
- 1 scoop Majka lactation protein powder
- 4 TBSP dark cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 6 tablespoons Brewer’s yeast
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (or nuts or another add-in)
- In a medium pot over medium heat, stir together the coconut oil, almond butter, maple syrup and salt. Be sure to be stirring constantly so that the mixture doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and cinnamon and stir.
- Stir in the oat flour, lactation protein powder, dark cocoa, flax seed, Brewer’s yeast and add-in’s until well combined. If using chocolate chips, let the mixture cool a bit before adding them so that they don’t melt.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to scoop out balls of the mixture onto a piece of parchment paper. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to about a week.
- They can also be frozen for a few months.
Don’t have time to make these easy no bake lactation cookies on your own?
I love the Majka Lactation Bites… They’re a healthy, convenient snack for nursing moms on the go! Plus, they’re the first refrigerated lactation cookie on the market (that can also be enjoyed unrefrigerated).
Each bite is packed with superior ingredients that supplement your daily nutrition and support healthy lactation production. Unlike many lactation snacks you’ll find at the store, our recipe is made from natural ingredients–no more worrying about the nutrition label!
Every Majka Bite contains all the nutritional benefits without unnecessary calories, added sugars, or artificial ingredients. They’re the perfect snack for the whole family! (but make sure you save some for yourself–they’re addicting!)
USE COUPON CODE BEYONDFIT FOR 20% OFF YOUR ORDER!
For optimal lactation support, I recommend eating one to two of our easy no bake lactation cookies or pre-made Majka lactation bites per day. For increased milk supply, enjoy your bites an hour before breastfeeding or pumping!
Share your thoughts