Looking for a healthy dinner idea?
Need a quick & easy recipe that’s fit for you AND the family? Try this healthy sloppy joes recipe!
Growing up in a traditional Southern household, our meals weren’t exactly healthy. There was cheese, gravies, breads, and sweets galore. So you can imagine (or maybe you can personally understand) that making the shift from eating for happiness to eating for health AND happiness is difficult. And it can be easy to feel as if you are being deprived from the foods that you love.
But as the old saying goes, there is more than one way to skin a cat. And I was determined one night to find a way to skin the cat for some Sloppy Joes – a childhood FAVORITE.
So here is the recipe that I found and used (and tweaked just a bit) to allow me to eat something I was craving without the guilt! And it even got the seal of approval from both of my roommates!
Fat Loss Friendly, Healthy Sloppy Joes
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 small yellow onion, quartered
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and cut into large chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 12 oz lean ground turkey
- ¾ C ketchup (use Kate’s homemade version for even less guilt!)
- 2/3 C water
- 2 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1 t chili powder
- Ezekiel bread/buns
- Combine the garlic, onion, and bell pepper in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Don’t have a food processor? Dice the ingredients into small pieces by hand.
- Add the chopped vegetables to a hot pan, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add turkey to the pan and cook, stirring to break the meat up. Again, season with salt and pepper to taste. Be sure to keep breaking the meat up into smaller chunks as you go!
- Drain any excess fat/moisture once the turkey is finished cooking.
- Add ketchup, water, Worcestershire sauce, and chili powder.
- Bring mixture to a simmer, occasionally stirring.
- Once the entire mixture is warmed, serve on Ezekiel bread, spaghetti squash, or on a bed of spinach. Or you can do like I did and just eat it by itself!
Recipe serves 4
READY TO GET IN THE ACTION? Click HERE to register and join thousands of other moms worldwide on the quest to banish muffin tops, thunder thighs and jello arms once & for all!