By Kate Horney
In just 16 weeks our BeyondFit Sister & online coaching client Katie lost almost 25lbs, over 10 inches, and went from a size 10 to a size 4!
Today, she shares her incredible fat loss story…
“I don’t think I’ve ever been “fat” or “overweight”, but I’ve always felt that way and been uncomfortable with my weight.
As a competitive gymnast up until junior high, I was 5’2″ and a lean 120lbs. After quitting the sport I gained about 20lbs and by high school I was a consistent 150lbs at 5’3″. I got down to 144lbs by the end of my senior year by meticulously counting calories.
During college my weight fluctuated anywhere from 160-145lbs, my lowest was when I ran 4 miles in the mornings with my best friend. After college I typically weighed in the range of 155-160lbs. I’d typically go through spurts by counting calories to stay in the 150-155 range. In March of 2011, I stepped on the scale and it was a dismal 164.
I was disgusted with myself at this point and how “big” I had let myself get.
I vowed that day “NEVER Again!!” I was tired of feeling like the “big girl” (granted, I was wearing size 10-12 jeans). I was starting to think that my weight was a correlation to my singleness and lackluster dating life. At that point my goal was to “lose weight and lose it the fastest way possible”.
I researched many diets and decided to give the Atkins diet a try. I quickly lost 10lbs in just 2 weeks. The next 9 lbs came off more slowly. But I got down to 145 and hit the biggest plateau ever.
Months of eating no carbs and there was no change on the scale whatsoever.
At this point I met someone! We dated for a few months before becoming “official”. BUT, what do you do when you date? You go out to eat!! Trying to eat no or low carb became almost impossible and I gained 5lbs back. During this time our relationship became more serious and we went to visit my parents in Ohio for my birthday (June 2012). During this trip, I over indulged because my thought was, ” I’ll lose a bunch of weight once that ring is on my finger. It’ll be a constant reminder!!”. When we returned, I was back at 155!!! I guess my overindulgence of blueberry pancakes and at frozen yogurt bars did me in.After getting engaged, I decided to give Atkins another try and in 2 weeks I only lost 1 pound!! I was devastated. I sent Kate a message to ask her opinion on why I couldn’t lose more weight.
She explained to me about metabolic hormones and the balance of foods and fat loss.
I told her I wanted to get down to 135, lose 20lbs, for my wedding. But not only for my wedding. For the rest if my life. I was tired of the fluctuations in my weight. I wanted something that I could do and keep it off for good. She told me if I did the BeyondFit Program that this could be achieved in 12 weeks.I was super skeptical about this promise and the cost of the program.
But I decided to give it a try. What could it hurt?
When I started the program, I was working full time in the summer. Two weeks after starting the program, I had to move, and go back to school, all while still working full time. Many people say they don’t have the time to work at being healthy or losing weight, but if I could do it while working full time, in school full time, move, plan a wedding and spend time with my fiancé, ANYONE can do it.
After 14 weeks, I achieved my goal.
I broke the 135.0 goal and hit 134.2!! Soooo exciting! I can’t remember the last time I was that weight. There are many challenges to compliance to the program. I still have a fiancé who likes to eat. But I have to make a conscious decision to, “make the best choice” on daily basis…
- I have to schedule my workout times; either 9pm or 6am depending on my class/clinic schedule.This ensures that I get my workouts in.
- If you get off plan, which happens, you pick yourself back up and get back on track at the first possible opportunity.
- I had to drive 2hrs each weekend to check in at work with my boss. So food planning was difficult. But when eating out I made the best decisions I could or take food with me. Being healthy takes conscious planning and commitment to a goal.
- Making my meals ahead of time was really helpful with my extremely busy schedule. It is hard when friends or family want to go eat pizza or Mexican. I occasionally have a cheat when there’s no other option. And my body reminds me later why I shouldn’t feed it that junk anymore. But at the first opportunity, I get back on track.
I have the goal in sight. To be healthy. To be fit.
When Katie began her customized fat loss nutrition plan, she learned how to become creative in the kitchen.
Today, Katie shares with us an AWESOME recipe for “on plan” fat loss friendly DOUBLE blueberry muffins.
Check it out…
Double Blueberry Muffins
By Katie Morrow
- 4 scoops Dymatize Elite XT Protein Powder in Blueberry Muffin Flavor
- 8 Packets of Stevia or 4 Tablespoons
- 4 Teaspoons of Baking Powder
- 2 cups of water
- 140g of Oat Bran
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 140g of fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients together, except blueberries, in no particular order at all, it will be thick. Pour into cupcake pan, with liners. Then add blueberries on top, dividing equally by 35g increments for 3 muffins, (every set of 3 muffins has 35g total of blueberries).
- Bake until toothpick comes out clean, usually 15-20 minutes.
- Makes 1 dozen
Note: Katie eats 3 muffins for her morning breakfast. This breaks down to aprox. 1/3 cup of oat bran, 1 scoop protein powder, 1/4 cup blueberries. 🙂