By Suzanne York
This hearty soup is sure to become a family favorite during these cold winter months! Enjoy!
Hearty Winter Minestrone Soup
• 1 T olive oil
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
• 2 large cloves garlic, minced
• 1 t dried basil
• ½ t each dry rosemary, oregano, thyme
• 2 small red potatoes
• 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
• 16 C chicken stock
• 1 large turnip, peeled and diced (optional)
• 1 can (1lb) red or white kidney beans
• ¼ C tomato paste
• 2 C finely shredded kale leaves
• salt and pepper to taste
* note if you want to increase the protein add shredded chicken
1. Heat oil in a 5-quart pan over medium heat.
2. Add onion, celery, garlic, and spices and cook, stir occasionally for about 10 minutes.
3. Add potatoes, carrots, stock and turnip.
4. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 min.
5. Mix in beans and tomato paste.
6. Bring to a boil over high heat.
7. Reduce heat and simmer about 15 min.
8. Add kale and cook, uncovered, about 5 minutes until it is crisp/tender.
9. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Yields 8 servings (Serving size: 1 cup)
Nutritional Value: 291 cal, 37g carbs, 4g fiber, 17 g protein
Healthy babies come from healthy moms!
Your baby is a REASON to make a healthy choices priority… not an excuse for why you can’t!
If you’re not sure where to start when it comes to a FIT PREGNANCY, join us over at the BeyondFit Life Club where I upload all of my personal workouts (100% safe during pregnancy) and share all the best fit mom recipes, tips & tricks!