By Kate Horney
How far along? 29 Weeks, 1 Day
Maternity clothes? I’ve been sunning the bump at the beach quite a bit lately, so between swimsuits and tanks, I haven’t needed much else (in addition to the usual workout clothes- which STRETCH!) I do recommend the bella band for keeping regular clothes as long as possible, though!
Best moment this week: Celebrating 7 years since the day we met & 6 years since the day Patrick askd me to be his wife! It’s fun to look back on how much has changed and how far the Lord has brought us. I’m very grateful for our little family and that I have a wonderful husband and get to be a mommy to TWO sweet little boys.
Miss Anything? I am HOT! It’s super humid and in the 90s here in eastern NC… and I honestly feel like a walking heater- radiating heat basically 24/7. No AC is too cool for me.
Movement: Lots of movement & I love it! I can tell that he’s getting longer based on where the punches and kicks are heading (think: ribs! Ouch!)
Food cravings: Pretty boring right now. Just the usual protein pancakes, fruit & cheese. No major food aversions right now, so coffee and chicken are both in the rotation… yay!
Looking forward to: Working on then nursery. It’s funny because at this point in my pregnancy with Jackson, I already had his nursery COMPLETELY finished. Aaaaaand… I’ve yet to even start on Baby H #2’s room. I know the look I’m going for, and I’ve picked up a few things here and there, but as far as real nursery decorating, I’m still at about zero. I guess running a business and chasing a toddler around all day slows progress. 😉 It’s all good though- I’m getting excited to start working on it and hoping that the little man hold’s off until his dwelling is complete.
Biggest Struggle This Week: Constipation
This may be TMI, but the struggle is real. lol Here’s the science (or the scoop on the poop): The pregnancy hormone progesterone relaxes smooth muscle tissue throughout your body, including your gastrointestinal tract. This relaxation, coupled with the crowding in your abdomen, slows digestion., aaaaaand….sluggish digestion can cause constipation.
Constipation is a common problem during pregnancy.
As many as half of pregnant women get constipated at some point.
Most studies that I’ve read show that this problem may be compounded later in pregnancy by the pressure of your growing uterus on your rectum (again- TMI) so it makes sense that I’m experiencing it now. In addition,iron supplements can make constipation worse, and although I worked hard to avoid the need for iron, I’ve started added small doses in to help with my pregnancy anemia.
Solution: Here are 5 tips for preventing pregnancy constipation:
- FIBER- Eat high-fiber foods- especially fresh fruits and vegetables every day.
- WATER- Drink plenty of water – at least half your body weight in ounces. Doctors say that a glass of fruit juice every day, especially prune juice, can also be helpful, but I don’t like the idea of all that added sugar, so I stick to the REAL fruit and get the added benefit of the fiber!
- EXERCISE- Exercise regularly! There’s no denying that walking, yoga, and just general regular movement helps ease constipation (bonus: it also leaves you feeling more fit and healthy).
- MAGNESIUM- Consider supplementing with magnesium (or try cocoa, which is naturally rich in magnesium) until things “get moving”.
- PROBIOTIC- If you are not taking a good quality probiotic, make sure you take that regularly. (Here’s what I use)
P.S. Healthy babies come from healthy moms!
Your baby is a REASON to make a healthy choices priority… not an excuse for why you can’t!
If you’re not sure where to start when it comes to a FIT PREGNANCY, join us over at the BeyondFit Life Club where I upload all of my personal workouts (100% safe during pregnancy) and share all the best fit mom recipes, tips & tricks!