By Kate Horney
It’s that time of the year when the scent of grilled dinners wafts through the neighborhoods and beaches across the country.
Summer isn’t just about incredible salads…it’s also about some hearty meats on the grill! (And yes, even a little grilled dessert…!)
You can’t go wrong with a fat loss friendly burger…but if you’re in the mood for something different at your your 4th of July BBQ this year, I’ve got some great grill recipes adapted from Mark’s Daily Apple that are certain to please your taste buds as well as your waistline.
4th of July BBQ = 3 meats for grilling, plus a dessert for fun!
Grilled Lamb Chops
- Thoroughly mix together marinade of ¾ c beef broth, ¼ c lemon juice, 1 T melted coconut oil, 1½ T chopped garlic, 1½ T thyme, 1 T rosemary, 1½ T oregano.
- Allow chops to sit in marinade for 1 hour.
- Place chops on high medium-high heat grill and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Cover with foil and let rest 5 minutes.
- Serve with heaping Greek salad.
BBQ Chicken Breasts
- Mix marinade of 3/4 c chicken stock, ½ c lime juice, 1½ T cumin, ½ T garlic, 1 T chopped cilantro.
- Allow breasts to rest in marinade for 1 hour.
- Place on medium-hot grill, 5-6 minutes per side. Remove from heat and let rest under tented foil for 10 minutes.
- Serve with salad made of fresh greens, tomato, avocado, bacon bits, and other veggies of choice. Drizzle with citrus-cumin vinaigrette.
Grilled Pork Tenderloin
- Mix 1 c chicken stock, 2 T low sodium soy sauce, 11/2 T melted coconut oil, 1½ T honey, 4 chopped scallions, 1½ t minced garlic, and 1½ t ginger in pan and place 4-lb tenderloin in marinade for 1-2 hours (turning over half way through).
- Add black pepper after removing from marinade and sear lightly on high heat grill. Then move to upper grill for remaining cook time (approximately 35-40 minutes).
- Season with salt when finished and wrap in loosely tented (and vented foil). Let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- Serve with Asian-inspired vegetables.
Still have room? How about this as an encore?
Grilled Peaches (Dessert!)
- Slice just-ripe peaches in half and remove pit. Make a simple marinade of selected extract(s) and spices. (Suggestions: almond, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves, ginger.)
- Allow peaches to soak skin-side up for 15 minutes.
- Run skewers through peach halves and add to medium heat grill. Allow to cook 1-2 minutes per side or just until heated through and fully tender.
- Serve with Greek style yogurt and handful of warm pecans or blueberries.
Fat-loss doesn’t have to be a puzzle. Are you ready to crack the code and piece together your own personal blueprint which you can use again and again? That’s a BeyondFit Life!
What do BeyondFit Life members receive?
Instant access to downloadable, printable:
- Fat-burning workouts updated each month (no gym required)
- Fast, simple recipes (no fancy ingredients)
- Incredible fat-loss lifestyle bonus material
- And LIVE online support