The Lean, Mean (Fat Burning Machine)… Green Soup
The weather is really starting to cool off which means it’s the perfect time of year for a hot bowl of soup! I do love my veggies but I must admit that I lack creativity when it comes to preparing them. I came across this recipe that was originally made using white potatoes…
But I made it fat loss friendly by substituting with cauliflower!
It goes great with a salad or can be used as a side dish. It’s the perfect way to get in a big serving of veggies and will keep you warm and toasty! 🙂
The Lean, Mean (Fat Burning Machine) Green Soup
- Olive oil spray
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 cups salt-reduced vegetable stock (I used homemade chicken stock and it was good)
- 1 ½ cups cauliflower, chopped
- 1 2/3 cups broccoli, cut into florets
- ¼ cup baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tbs bought basil pesto (or homemade if you have the Recipe eBook!)
- Fresh basil sprigs, to serve
- a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese
- Seasonings to taste
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Spray with oil. Add onion and stir for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add garlic and stir for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add stock and cauliflower.
- Bring to boil. Cover. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add broccoli and simmer for 6-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add spinach. Simmer for 1 minute or until just wilted. Set aside to cool.
- Add basil leaves. Blend one-third of mixture in a blender until smooth.
- Transfer to a clean saucepan. Repeat twice with remaining mixture.
- Cook soup over medium heat for 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Combine greek yogurt and pesto in a bowl.
- Divide soup among bowls. Top with pesto cream and basil sprigs.
We want to hear from YOU!
Check in with your pics, motivational tips, and your favorite winter-weather recipes that keep you warm and toasty!