Healthy Breakfast Ideas: Baked Donut Recipe
By Kate Horney
What’s not to love about the traditional breakfast favorite, the DONUT?
Well, there’s a lot not to love, actually… most donuts are not much more than deep fried balls of sugary dough. Sure they may taste good for a second, but is it worth wrecking your health goals (and sending you on a blood sugar roller coaster all morning long) by eating cake for breakfast?
What if I told you it doesn’t have to be this way…
Yes, now you can have your cake (aka the donut) and eat it too!
Most of the “healthy” donut recipes I found still included way too much sugar and flour (even “whole grain” doesn’t make it fat loss friendly) to keep you on track with your fat loss goals, so I did some experimenting and came up with a great version just for you!
BeyondFit’s Basic Baked Donuts
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup stevia in the raw (or sweetener of choice)
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
(optional) flavor ideas below! 🙂
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease doughnut pan with coconut oil.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix together wet ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into dry and combine thoroughly.
- Spoon batter into greased doughnut pan until wells are 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 13-15 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Cool 1-2 minutes before carefully removing the donuts from the pan.
Kate’s Favorite Flavor Ideas:
- Pumpkin Spice (cinnamon, stevia + pumpkin pie spice)
- Apple Pie (apple pie spice + thinly sliced apple chunks)
- Blueberry Lemon (fresh blueberries + 2 tsp lemon juice)
- Maple Glazed (melt coconut oil + sugar free maple syrup as frosting)
- Coconut (dipped in melted coconut oil + unsweetened coconut)
- Chocolate (add unsweetened cocoa powder to your donut batter)
- Jelly Filled (add some sugar-free jelly in the middle!)
What is YOUR favorite donut? Give this recipe a try, add your own unique twist, and post a photo of your fat loss friendly baked donuts HERE! 🙂
It’s time to welcome donuts back into your diet!