Fall is here.
That statement is based solely upon the fact that you can now purchase a piping hot (or iced) PSL at your local Starbucks. I’m guilty of buying into the Pumpkin Spice Latte hype because I love pumpkin spiced anything (pie, cake, cookies, cheesecake, bread…all of it).
After Food Babe crushed the hearts of millions by revealing that Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Lattes are actually bad for you, I got to thinking…
- Who really believed they were getting a wholesome, organic, good for you beverage when they purchased a PSL at Starbucks?
- Did those same people also think there was pumpkin in the latte?
- What is the best way to fix this situation?
If you’re into living a healthy/whole foods kind of lifestyle, you’re making a conscious decision to choose foods that are good for you and good to you. For me, this includes occasional indulgences (like a Starbucks PSL) but I certainly don’t believe these choices are good for my body, healthy or necessary. They’re indulgences. They’re fun. They make me happy. And everyone deserves a little pumpkin spice happiness now and again.
I was sitting at my desk contemplating this #PSL dilemma when I had the greatest idea I’ve ever had in the history of this blog. Maybe even the history of my life: Homemade Pumpkin Spiced Coconut Creamer.
You’re probably thinking: DUH. You can make or buy any flavor creamer or syrup you want. Which is true. But I wanted to make something that would taste like my favorite coffee shop PSL and still contain high quality, wholesome ingredients. This recipe is part PSL, part bullet proof coffee and 100% deliciously fall approved.
- This formula is on the less sweet side. I like it as is, my husband adds sweetener to his.
- Store the leftover cream in the refrigerator. When you take it out to use again, it will be thicker but I like it this way. It’s easy to scoop into a cup of piping hot coffee.
- If you let your coffee sit for a while, the fat in the coconut cream will separate out but that’s okay! Give it a stir and drink up those healthy MCFAs.
- Enjoy in abundance. Before you know it, it’ll be time for White Mocha and Peppermint Lattes!
Dr. Pragati Gusmano is a Naturopathic Doctor and an expert on natural health and holistic medicine. She believes that living a simple, happy and healthy life is the best medicine. She is the author of Simple Medicine, where you’ll find delicious and nutritious ways to eat, beauty DIYs, and simple ways to be happy and healthy, naturally. You can also find her on Twitter (@PragatiGusmano), Facebook and Instagram (@simple.medicine).