Taco Squash Bake
I have always enjoyed both eating out and cooking at home but recently I have had to really cut back on eating out. So now I am always on the lookout for healthier versions of my favorite types of food, one of the biggest being Mexican!
This way I can feel like I am “cheating” but I’m really not.
What could be better than that?!
I came across this dish online that was already made “healthy” but I made a few substitutions and omitted a couple things to make it “fat loss friendly.”
I admit it does take a little prep work so it is perfect for food prep day because it makes 6 servings. Hellooooo leftovers!!!!
Coach Kira’s Taco Squash Bake
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 3/4 C bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 C onion, chopped
- 12 oz lean ground turkey
- 4 1/2 t taco seasoning mix (I get reduced sodium)
- 1 C reduced-fat Mexican-blend cheese, shredded
- 1 C chunky salsa
- 1/4 C plain greek yogurt
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Place squash face down in a baking dish and poke holes with a fork. Bake for about 40 minutes or until tender.
- While squash is baking, chop up the bell pepper and onion and cook in a skillet for 3-4 minutes. Add in the lean ground turkey and 1 ½ t of seasoning. Cook until turkey is browned. Drain the grease and transfer to a large bowl. Add in ½ cup of the cheese.
- In a medium bowl mix together the salsa, yogurt, and ½ t of seasoning. Set aside.
- Once your squash is finished cooking use a fork to shred the squash into strands. You will want to drain as much of the liquid from the squash as possible. (Turn oven down to 350 degrees at this point.)
- Mix the squash in the large bowl with the turkey and add in 2 ½ t of seasoning. Thoroughly stir together.
- Combine the salsa mixture in the large bowl.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 9×13 baking dish and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup of cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees until nice and bubbly. About 20 minutes.
For more fat loss and family friendly recipes, join the BeyondFit Life Club for instant access to the recipe section of the members portal.