When I was growing up, some of my favorite family Easter traditions had to do with eggs: First on the list, of course, were Reese’s eggs. Buuuut a very close second was decorating, hiding, and the finding some “real” Easter eggs with my family.
Every year, like so many other families, we went to my Memaw’s house and used fizzy egg dye tablets to make intensely bright eggs. But as Patrick and I start our own Easter egg traditions with Jackson, I started thinking about what exactly might be in those fizzy tablets and whether I might be able to just find a way to dye eggs with things we already had around the house.
From coffee, blueberries, carrots and beyond . . . skip the kit and try coloring your Easter eggs with items from the pantry & fridge this year!
13 Simple Ways to Dye Easter Eggs Naturally:
- Bluish-Gray: Mix 1 C frozen blueberries with 1 C water, bring to room temperature, and remove blueberries.
- Blue: Cut 1/4 head of red cabbage into chunks and add to 4 cups boiling water. Stir in 2 T vinegar. Let cool to room temperature and remove cabbage with a slotted spoon.
- Jade Green: Peel the skin from 6 red onions and simmer in 2 C water for 15 minutes; strain. Add 3 t white vinegar.
- Faint Green-Yellow: Peel the skin from 6 yellow apples. Simmer in 1-1/2 C water for 20 minutes; strain. Add 2 t white vinegar.
- Orange: Take the skin of 6 yellow onions and simmer in 2 C water for 15 minutes; strain. Add 3 t white vinegar.
- Faint Red-Orange: Stir 2 T paprika into 1 C boiling water; add 2 t white vinegar.
- Rich yellow: Simmer 4 oz chopped carrot tops in 1-1/2 C water for 15 minutes; strain. Add 2 t white vinegar.
- Mustard-yellow: Stir 2 t turmeric into 1 C boiling water; add 2 t white vinegar.
- Various shades: Steep 4 bags of chamomile or green tea in 1 C boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Faint yellow: Simmer the peels of 6 oranges in 1-1/2 C water for 20 minutes; strain. Add 2 t vinegar.
- Brown: Add 1 T vinegar to 1 C strong coffee (as if I needed another excuse to make some).
- Dark pink: Cut 1 medium beet into chunks and add to 4 C boiling water. Stir in 2 T vinegar and let cool to room temperature; remove beets.
- Lavender: Mix 1 C grape juice and 1 T vinegar.
MORE EASTER RESOURCES:
We love to do things the natural way all year long with the BeyondFit Life Club. I know you’ll love the at home workouts, the fresh, fat loss friendly recipes and the wonderful women who make the BeyondFit Life Club incredible! Join today and don’t miss out on any more holiday (and everyday) fun!