By Kate Horney
Let’s talk sweet potatoes!
Sweet potatoes are a great source of complex carbs and are filled with fiber, vitamin A, potassium, and phytochemicals.
Are you a sweet potato lover like me? If so, follow these tips on how to store sweet potatoes so you can have fresh and delicious sweet potatoes whenever your craving strikes.
- Avoid storing sweet potatoes in the refrigerator, which will produce a hard center and unpleasant taste.
- Store your sweet potatoes in a cool, dry, well ventilated container. For best results, store them in a basement or root cellar away from strong heat sources.
- Your sweet potatoes can store for up to two weeks if stored properly.
Not sure how to prepare your sweet potatoes?
BeyondFit’s Simple Way to Bake a Sweet Potato
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- With a fork, pierce sweet potato skin 5-6 times.
- Place on baking sheet lined with foil. Bake until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
No time to bake your sweet potatoes? Here’s a quick and easy way to microwave your sweet potato in a matter of minutes!
How to Microwave a Sweet Potato
- Pierce the sweet potato skin 5-6 times.
- Place on a microwaveable plate and microwave for 5-8 minutes, rotating halfway through.
BeyondFit’s Easy Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with foil; spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Peel the sweet potatoes, if desired, and cut into 1/4-inch strips.
- In a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, oil and salt; with your hands, toss to coat.
- Spread sweet potatoes in a single layer without crowding; set aside remaining sweet potatoes.
- Bake until crisp, about 30 minutes, flipping halfway through. Repeat until all the sweet potatoes are baked.
- Sweet Trick: For even crisper results, place a metal rack on each baking sheet.
And if you need a yummy sweet potato recipe, give this amazing grilled sweet potato salad a try.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch slices
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 ears sweet corn, husked
- 1 3⁄4 C black beans, rinsed and drained (homemade or canned)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 C chopped cilantro
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, toss sliced sweet potatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place sweet potato slices on a grill over medium heat. Cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes on each side.
- When the sweet potatoes are close to being done, place the corn on the grill and cook for 3-4 minutes, rotating so the kernels get slightly charred. Let the sweet potatoes and corn cool to room temperature.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into quarters and place in a large bowl.
- With a sharp knife, remove the corn kernels from the cob. Add the corn to the bowl.
- Stir in black beans, green onions, and cilantro. Squeeze the lime juice over the salad and toss until combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve warm, chilled, or at room temperature.
Get more sweet potato recipes here!
The BeyondFit Life Club is a goldmine of information. It includes everything you need to succeed with fat-loss, training and smart nutrition.