At BeyondFit we talk a lot about the 2 P’s–protein + produce. If you want to expand your usual produce selection, venture out with something new and give artichokes a try! You’ll be amazed at the health benefits of artichokes!
Artichokes are most often served steamed, but grilling them adds a smoky dimension to their flavor. Keep reading for an easy and DELICIOUS grilled artichoke recipe!
But first, let’s talk about the health benefits of artichokes.
Health Benefits of Artichokes
- Artichokes are full of antioxidants. Artichokes provide a great number of vital antioxidants and phytonutrients including quercetin, rutin, gallic acid and cynarin. Additionally, artichokes possess a powerful ability to fight oxidative stress in the body. In fact, this study shows how some of the antioxidants present in artichokes, such as rutin, quercetin and gallic acid, reduce the growth of cancerous cells. And this study shows that artichokes can “induce apoptosis and decrease the invasive potential of the human breast cancer cell line MDA-MB231.”
- Artichokes protect your heart. Moreover, artichokes reduce unhealthy cholesterol levels and also protect your heart by improving blood flow. People with higher levels of cholesterol are more at risk for developing heart disease and experiencing cardiac arrest or stroke, but this study shows how artichokes can bring cholesterol levels down to a healthy level.
- Artichokes detox your liver. Furthermore, please don’t waste money on expensive “detox” supplements! Our 3 Day Detox after Thanksgiving post reveals how our own livers and kidneys help our bodies detoxify naturally. We don’t need to go to extreme measures! You can, however, help your body get back on track and detox your liver naturally by focusing on whole foods. Artichokes boost the production of digestive bile which naturally detoxes the body. In addition, this study reveals how the cynarin found in artichokes improves digestion and also helps with the absorption of nutrients. Proper bile production is vital to a good diet! Without it, proper absorption of many essential nutrients and fatty acids cannot occur.
- Artichokes are packed with fiber. Finally, no one can dispute the importance of a diet that’s high in fiber. Whether your goal is weight loss or general health, fiber keeps the digestive system running smoothly. It also helps your body get rid of waste, and balances hunger hormones by helping you feel full after eating. Soluble fiber, like the kind found in artichokes, is an important part of any diet. More information about fiber can be found in our post, Facts on Fiber.
So, are you ready to experience the health benefits of artichokes and their delicious flavor in your life today? Try this grilled artichoke with greek yogurt aioli recipe!
- 2 Large artichokes
- 4 T. Olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- 2 Lemons
- 1/4 C Plain Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 t. Sriracha sauce
- 1/4 t. minced garlic
- Sea salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Trim your artichokes by slicing off the bottom nub and halving.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add the juice of 1 lemon and a pinch of salt to the water.
- Carefully place the artichokes in the boiling water and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium/high while artichokes are simmering.
- After 20 minutes, remove artichokes from the water and place on paper towels to drain.
- Drizzle 2 T. of olive oil over each artichoke, followed by another big squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Place artichokes on the grill, cut side down.
- Grill for 8 to 10 minutes, checking occasionally. You'll want the artichokes to be quite charred.
- While the artichokes are grilling, prepare your aioli. Mix together all ingredients and season to taste.
- When artichokes are tender and charred, remove from grill and let cool.
- Serve with the spicy lemon aioli.
The BeyondFit Life Club offers a way to stay connected with other women who want to exercise more efficiently, consume more consciously and live better the BeyondFit way.
Joining the BeyondFit Life Club gives you access to nutrition support, a plethora of workouts and countless recipes to help you experience the health benefits of artichokes–and so much more!