By Suzanne York
AHHHHHHHHHH Summer fun!
The kids can’t wait to get to the pool and cool off! Unfortunately there are a lot of things they are tempted to eat at the local pool snack bar.
Here are some healthier alternatives to the candy bars, ice cream, cookies and pizza that are offered!
Kid Friendly Summer Snacks
Top Row Starting on the Left
Fresh veggies: Cut into fun shapes (using a cookie cutter) paired with greek yogurt dip. I use store bought Otrai Greek yogurt dip or make your own dip with plain Greek yogurt and a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Greek Yogurt mix. Or try our BeyondFit Spinach & Kale Veggie dip!
Applesauce Snack Bars: (6-8 servings)
- ¾ C almond milk
- ½ C natural peanut butter
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/4 C applesauce
- 1/4 C stevia
- 1 C grated apple (squeeze to remove moisture)
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ C rolled oats
- 1/4 C gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t cinnamon
Combine the first 7 ingredients and mix well. Add remaining ingredients and stir until combined. Spoon into greased 9×9 pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 min.
Classic Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- 3 medium cucumbers, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- package of cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1/2 C apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 C stevia
- 1 C water
- 2 t salt
- 1 t fresh ground pepper
- 1/8 C oil
Peel and slice the cucumbers and onion. Slice cherry tomatoes in half. Combine apple cider vinegar, stevia, water, salt , ground pepper and oil in a bowl and mix. Add cucumbers, onion and tomatoes and refrigerate at least an hour before serving.
Pair cucumber salad with a store bought rotisserie chicken for a quick lunch!
Pistachio-Protein Mix (4 Servings)
- 1 Combat Crunch protein bar cut into small pieces
- 2 T unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 T pistachios
- ¼ C unsweetened banana chips
Mix all ingredients and divide into small portable baggies for a quick snack.
Fun Lunch Kabobs
- Applegate farms Turkey breast
- Cheddar Cheese
- Cucumbers (cut with a decorative cookie cutter)
- Cherry tomatoes
Cut the lunchmeat and cheese into squares. Cut cucumber with a decorative cookie cutter. Slice cherry tomatoes in half and put on a wooden skewer.
- 3 Bananas
- Peanut butter or almond butter
- Various toppings: coconut, chocolate chips, pistachios or other nuts, chocolate sprinkles
Freeze bananas in freezer. Spread peanut butter or almond butter on the banana at desired thickness. Sprinkle coconut on one banana. Roll the 2nd banana in chocolate chunks. Roll the 3rd banana in nuts and chocolate sprinkles. Cut each banana into bite size pieces serve with chopsticks.
- Bananas (dip in orange juice to keep from browning)
Thread fruit on kabobs and enjoy!
Frozen grapes and frozen blueberries are also great snacks to keep cool by the pool!
Homemade Strawberry Yogurt Pops
- 1/4 C plain Greek Yogurt (add stevia to your taste)
- 1 scoop of whey protein powder
- 1/4 C water
- 10-12 ripe strawberries, rinsed and hulled
Blend all ingredients until smooth. Pour into popsicle container and freeze. Or use your favorite smoothie recipe in your popsicle molds!
Cut up some hard boiled eggs, almonds and grapes for a complete lunch!
What are some of your favorite summer snacks?
Happy Fourth of July from the BeyondFit Mom Team! Have a fun and healthy weekend!
Healthy babies come from healthy moms!
Your baby is a REASON to make a healthy choices priority…not an EXCUSE for why you can’t!
If you’re not sure where to start when it comes to a FIT PREGNANCY, join us over at the BeyondFit Life Club where I upload all of my personal workouts (100% safe during pregnancy) and share all the best fit mom recipes, tips & tricks!