By Kate Horney
One nutrition “struggle” that many of the women I coach have is getting enough protein. Let’s face it, after awhile, you get sick of chicken on chicken on eggs on chicken. Meal after meal of meat, eggs, and even protein bars & powders can get old quickly. If you’re looking for a creative way to sneak some more protein into your diet, look no further than Greek Yogurt!
Incorporating plain, low-fat Greek yogurt into your diet is one of my favorite fat loss friendly diet hacks. Ounce-for-ounce it has more than twice as much protein as regular yogurt, with a fraction of the carbs and sugar.
Greek Yogurt is a good source of calcium and vitamin D, and a 6-ounce carton has the potassium equivalent of a banana! Greek yogurt is rich in probiotics and relatively low in lactose, making it suitable for some people with lactose intolerance, and my favorite quality of this protein packed snack? Greek yogurt is incredibly versatile!
10 Great Ways to use Greek Yogurt
1. For Fruit: BeyondFit’s Greek Yogurt “Crack” Dip is perfect for dipping fruit (or eating with a spoon!)
2. For Veggies: Greek yogurt mixed with some of your favorite herbs and spices makes a fantastic healthy veggie dip. Try our favorite BeyondFit Spinach & Kale Veggie dip!
3. Cheese Dipping Sauce: It sounds crazy, but hear me out…just melt equal amounts of shredded cheese of your choice and plain Greek yogurt over low heat, and you’ve got a deliciously savory cheese sauce that’s perfect paired with veggies, grilled fish, or a low-carb side dish like BeyondFit’s Cauliflower Tator Tots.
4. Fat Loss Friendly Deviled Eggs: Super simple, just use Greek yogurt in place of mayonnaise in your favorite deviled egg recipe, for fewer calories, less fat, and more protein. Check out our BeyondFit Deviled Egg recipe here!
5. Soup: Add a creamy consistency with a few spoonfuls of plain Greek yogurt. Just wait until the soup is removed from the heat, to avoid curdling. Try it with this soup!
6. Sour Cream Sub: Use a dollop of Greek yogurt to top lean chili, a taco salad, or even when you need a creative way to liven up your baked chicken. Same tart creaminess, for a fraction of the calories. Great in our simple baked chicken recipe or our healthy chicken salad. It’s great in our Mexican taco squash bake too!
7. Fro-Yo or Sorbet: Perfect for an afternoon pick-me-up, a breakfast on the run or a fun and healthy kid-friendly treat. Think of Greek yogurt as your healthy ice cream replacement! Berry sorbet or even frozen over fresh strawberries!
8. Oatmeal protein boost: I usually stir a scoop of protein powder into my morning oats, but if you’re not a fan of the flavor or texture, give some Greek Yogurt a try! It adds a tanginess, along with a hefty dose of protein and probiotics to your morning routine and is great mixed with fresh, low sugar berries!
9. Protein Powdered Peanut-Butter: Adding powdered nut butter to your Greek Yogurt is a great way to get protein and flavor without the fat. Stirring in a spoonful of peanut butter, almond butter, or any one of the many nut butters now available can impact the taste and texture enough to make Greek yogurt palatable for even the strongest haters. And now powdered nut butters like PB2 are becoming more widely available, adding the same peanut-y flavor for about 75 percent fewer calories.
10. Insert YOUR favorite recipe here: What are some of your favorite ways to use Greek Yogurt? We’re always looking for fun new recipes to feature! Send us an email at: email@example.com or find us on FACEBOOK and share your ideas!
Are you a MOM ready to BURN FAT and GET YOUR BODY BACK?
If you want to learn the basics of hormonal fat loss training & nutrition in a way that’s both easy to understand and easy to implement, check out my 101 Post-Natal Fitness Tips! It’s a great starting point for moms of all ages and for hormonal fat loss enthusiasts everywhere!
Catch up on this month’s Summer Sizzle Series here!