7 Grab and Go Protein Snacks
Protein snacks: the key to a satisfying hunger when you are on the go.
If you want to balance hunger, energy and cravings all day long, it’s important to have snacks packed with protein. Protein snacks slow digestion and keep blood sugar steady. Adding low sugar protein snacks to your daily diet can fuel weight loss efforts by boosting metabolism and reducing hunger pangs. Research also shows that protein snacks balance cravings because they boost satisfaction and keep you feeling fuller longer.
But what do you do when you’re running out the door for errands, school, work, etc. and need a quick protein snack that’s great to grab and go?
As busy women, we’re all working to find quick solutions to get important nutrients without having to sacrifice time, money or quality.
7 Grab and Go Protein Snacks
Take these protein snacks with you anywhere:
1. Hardboiled eggs: Each egg contains roughly 6 grams of protein. In addition to protein, eggs give you a hearty dose of vitamin D and vitamin B-12. They’re easy to prep ahead of time and take on the run. Or if you really want a quick and easy snack, you can buy pre-peeled hardboiled eggs!
2. Peanut butter pack: You may not want to throw a jar of peanut butter into your bag, but if you want the added 8g of protein per serving, try a peanut butter or almond butter single serving pack. These offer convenience as well as portion control. The @beyondfitkids and I love that we can pack individual squeeze packs! We use them on apples, bananas, or even some veggies as a quick grab and go protein snack.
3. Jerky: Depending on what brand you purchase, jerky can have anywhere from 7 to 12 grams of protein per serving. Look for brands that are made with pork, beef, and turkey. You’ll find high quality protein without all the added junk. When possible, I suggest buying nitrate-free brands. Read the labels, especially for sodium content, since jerky is typically high in salt.
4. Cottage cheese: Provided you don’t have any dairy allergies, cottage cheese is a delicious dairy, high protein snack. In addition to protein, a single-serving container of nonfat cottage cheese has 125 milligrams of bone-building calcium. Read more about the nutrients you need for healthy bones here.
5. Protein bars/shakes: Grab some protein bars from the store or make your own. Homemade protein bars are an easy-to-grab protein snack. They are packed with all that protein goodness without any store-bought additives. If you do buy your protein bars from the store, read labels carefully, as many bars on the market are loaded with sugar and fat. Click here to learn more about how to read labels to find the best protein bar for weight loss. You can also easily throw together a protein shake by mixing high quality protein powder into unsweetened almond milk or a liquid of your choice.
6. Turkey roll ups: Another quick way to get lots of protein is to wrap up some deli turkey breast with a squirt of mustard, a slice of tomato, and some lettuce or other fibrous veggies of your choice. Stick a toothpick in the roll up to hold it together, store in the fridge and have them ready to grab and go. You’ll get anywhere from 18-20 grams of protein to hold you over in between meal times. They are also super easy to store in a pyrex container or wrapped in foil.
7. Yogurt Drinks: In addition to protein, high-quality yogurt drinks like Dannon® Light & Fit® and Dannon® Oikos® Nonfat Yogurt Drinks also provide bone-building calcium and gut-friendly probiotics! Dairy protein contains all 9 essential amino acids your body needs but can’t make on its own. So, this makes any dairy snack a “complete” protein! I recently discovered these yogurt drinks, and I love that they’re a convenient, portable source of protein, 0% fat, with live and active cultures and, to top it all off, they really taste great!
Dannon® Light & Fit® and Dannon® Oikos® Nonfat Yogurt Drinks are now available in a 4-pack. I found them at our local at Walmart in the yogurt section! They’re a perfect way to stock up ahead of time so you’ll have quick grab and go protein snacks ready throughout the week. I also love the portability of yogurt drinks–just be sure to keep them refrigerated!
Finally, they’re perfect for busy lifestyles and nutrition on the go–recently, I’ve been loving these as my go-to protein snack to grab and drink while sitting in carpool line!
What you need to know:
- 10g of Protein
- Zero Added Sugar*
- 4g of Fiber
- Excellent source of calcium and vitamin D
Click here to save $1.00 when buying Dannon® Light & Fit® and Dannon® Oikos® Nonfat Yogurt drinks!
Share your thoughts